Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. -- Mark Rippetoe

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Makeshift workout at Heathrow?

So I am on my second full day in London and have managed to avoid dietary disaster for the most part.  Unfortunately I've been up til almost 4 AM both Monday and Tuesday nights between work on another case and still being on Chicago time.  Haven't been able to get to the hotel gym yet, but I've done extensive walking around with the co-workers.  Monday night's "workout" was a 20 minute haulin' ass speedwalk through Heathrow (including a flight of stairs) from the gate to customs.  Instead of a weight vest, I had my purse as well as the trusty backpack filled with workpapers and my laptop.  I made it my mission to beat everyone in front of me, and I am proud to say I prevailed.  I guess no one else in Business Class was a CrossFitter.  I win!  Granted, most of the other folks in line at customs gave me odd looks when I arrived flushed and panting but victorious.  The border patrol agent also told me to "behave" after he checked my passport and cleared me to enter the UK.  Not sure how he could have gleaned that much insight about me from my ID, but oh well.

In other news, my knee is still getting back to normal after the flight.  Transatlantic flights really affect my ACL knee, and it doesn't start feeling right again until a few days later.  It must be the changes in pressure combined with not fully extending it for most of the trip.

I'm hopeful that I will get a workout in at the gym tonight or tomorrow morning.  At the very least, I'll work on push ups, sit ups, and squats in the hotel room. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did Heathrow airport for time. Nice work, crazy girl, I like your style. You definitely win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn..."Heathrow for Time" is a way better title than what I came up with. You so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try wearing wearable weights like “Body Togs” anatomically designed weighted sleeves worn on your arms & legs under your clothes. Put them on in the morning and you literally forget you have them on while increasing your calorie burn, muscle tone & bone density! Also wear while exercising to increase workout. Weighted vests work great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything you've said, I can relate to! I have done the "gate to customs" for time for sure. I also had weird jet lag going from here to London too where my sleep was all messed up. Did you get to drop in to Crossfit Central London yet?

    Eating was so difficult in London! They love their bangers n mash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna -- Totally agree. I have found some good options at Pret, though. Did you try their avocado and crayfish no-bread thing? I freakin love that place.

    ReplyDelete