Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. -- Mark Rippetoe

Thursday, January 14, 2010

CrossFit Total!

Day 1 of the Paleo+ Challenge started Monday, and we also had our CrossFit Total to set the benchmark for the challenge.  My last CFT was back in March I think, so I was really looking forward to seeing how my numbers changed.

Prior CFT (March 2009)
Squat: 210
Press: 85
Deadlift: 350
Total: 645

Since then, I increased my squat max to 225, but I had stagnated on both the press and deadlift.

1/11/10 Workout -- CrossFit Total

Going into the workout, I really wasn't sure how I would do.  I had eaten paleo during the day but hadn't gotten enough to eat, so Kerry graciously gave me a spare ThinkThin protein bar.  As it turned out, my energy and strength really felt great once I started the workout.

Squat: 135 - 175 - 200 - 215 - 235 - 245f

Squats felt easy.  235 went up pretty quickly, and I was able to get about 2/3 of the way back up to vertical with 245, but I just couldn't stand all the way up.

Press: 70 - 80 - 85 - 87 - 90f - 90f

FINALLY broke through the 85 lb barrier.  I know it's only by 2 pounds, but I feel like I conquered a huge frustration of mine.  90 almost went up both times, but my right arm hindered me.  I got the bar up with the left side relatively easily, but I got all lopsided with the right arm still much more bent.

Deadlift: 185 - 205 - 240 - 305 - 325 - 335

This is 15 lbs shy of my CrossFit PR (best all time was 370, but I was heavier then and used a belt, too), but I wasn't too upset that I didn't try for it.  I used a lot of energy on squats tonight, so I was not surprised that deadlift suffered.  I have eliminated the arm jerk at the beginning of the lift that I used to do, but I am still struggling with the lockout at the top.  What concerned me was that 335 felt SO damn heavy to get off the floor.  Getting the bar off the floor isn't usually my problem.  It just messed with my head, but I need to get over it.

New CFT (January 11, 2010)
Squat: 235
Press: 87
Deadlift: 335
Total: 657

12 lb improvement over last time.  Still room to get more!

1/11/10 Nutrition

I haven't decided whether I will track every day here or what, but here is what I did for Day 1:

7 AM: 6 cashews, 2 shortbread triangles (finishing off the Christmas cookies...bye bye refined carbs)
11 AM: 16 oz hot tea (vanilla almond), black -- not adding cream or splenda was a massive accomplishment for me
1:30 PM: spinach salad w/ organic chicken, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, red onion, sliced almonds, cherry tomatoes, EVOO, balsamic vinegar
3:30 - 4 PM snacking: hard boiled egg, carrots, broccoli, 1 tsp organic ranch dressing
5 PM: 12 oz vanilla black tea
5:45 PM: 1 hard boiled egg
7 - 8 PM: most of a ThinkThin bar (Kerry had a bite)
9:30 - 10:30 PM: 6 cashews, 1 dark chocolate square (90% cacao), 1 fried egg, 4 slices natural salami, sauteed peppers, 1/2 sweet potato (cut into chips and baked in oven with EVOO and cinnamon)



No comments:

Post a Comment