Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. -- Mark Rippetoe

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Broken

That's me on the left...on the floor.


I'm not good at keeping this thing updated, but here's a new post.  Yay new post.  I am facing yet another setback in my efforts to get my fitness levels back to where they were in 2009.  Here's what happened:

I competed in the Great Lakes CrossFit Invitational on Jan. 15 at CrossFit Indy North. There were 4 workouts, followed by a final WOD for the top 20 men and women, respectively:

WOD 1
6 min AMRAP
8 115/185# deadlifts
8 over-the-box (20/24") jumps

-rest 1 min, then-

WOD 2
2 min max thrusters (95/135#)

I was in 8th place after these 2 WODs, thanks in large part to the first workout going so well.  I was able to knock out the deadlifts quickly and unbroken for the AMRAP, which helped make up for the relative panic that those over-the-box-jumps caused.

WOD 3
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
65/95# OHS
over-the-barbell burpees

WOD 4 (this was a massive accomplishment for me to finish within the time cap since it involved 2 suck list items)
3 rounds
20 95/135# squats
20 toes-to-bar
20 double unders

After these 4 events, I was in the top 20 women and qualified for the final WOD, so I was thrilled. Here it was:

Finals WOD
50 cal row
30 105/155# clean & jerks
40 cal row
40 pull ups
30 cal row
50 1/1.5 pood KBS ('09 Games standard)

So, it was going great through clean and jerks. I was in 2nd place in my heat (which was 11-20th of the women...yeah, double unders/toes-to-bar dropped me badly in the standings) heading to the pull up bar. I had chalked during c&js and wanted to bust out 5 or 10 pull ups before re-chalking. After my 3rd pull up, I swung back up, but slipped off the bar. I fell backwards to the ground, landing hard on my butt/hip with my left hand underneath. I was asking the head coach to tape my fingers together so I could finish, but when I looked down, my left index finger was "stuck" over my middle finger.  I managed to still finish in the top 20--18th to be exact--since I made finals, but it obviously was *not* how I wanted the day to end.

After an emotional trip to the ER, several rounds of x-rays, and an obscene amount of morphine and dilaudid (8 times stronger than morphine.  'Nuff said.), I find out I have a displaced and impacted fracture of my second metacarpal (think knuckle--the types of breaks you get in your hand when you get in a bar brawl).   Here's an awesome photo of my hand 2 days following the fall:

I had had encouraging appointments with the hand surgeon regarding the healing of my hand.  In fact, the splint should come off next Friday.  The bad news is that now they're concerned I may have a fracture in my wrist from the fall.  Apparently there's a nasty little bone in our wrists sometimes fractures in bad falls, but the breaks tend not to show up in x-rays.  Anyway, if the wrist pain is still there at my appointment next week, I have to have an MRI.  If it's broken, surgery may be the only solution.  And the really shitty upshot of that is that I wouldn't be healed in time for any of the qualifiers this spring.  So, here's to hoping surgery isn't necessary.




No comments:

Post a Comment